Sunday, December 21, 2008

The ambitious holiday reading list

Reading:

The Triggering Town: Lectures and Essays on Poetry and Writing, by Richard Hugo

Shopgirl, by Steve Martin

Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology, by Daniel L. Migliore

Radical Orthodoxy and the Reformed Tradition: Creation, Covenant, and Participation, James K.A. Smith and James H. Olthuis, editors

Macbeth, by Shakespeare

Critical Theory: A User-Friendly Guide, by Lois Tyson

Reading the Written Image: Verbal Play, Interpretation, and the Roots of Iconophobia, by Christopher Collins

Finishing or Continuing:

The Best Creative Nonfiction, Vol. 1, Lee Gutkind, editor

The Optimist: Poems, by Joshua Mehigan

The Last Battle, by C.S. Lewis, which I've been reading with the kids

Tree of Heaven: Poems, by Jim McKean, who was my thesis adviser

Air Guitar: Essays on Art and Democracy, by Dave Hickey

A Stay Against Confusion: Essays on Faith and Fiction, by Ron Hansen

Examining:

Imaginative Writing, by Janet Burroway

Digg this

2 comments:

Margo said...

This does look very ambitious, but I guess you're used to reading a lot more than I am. I've read Shopgirl twice. I adore Steve Martin's writing.I'm reading Suite Francaise, and have Edgar Sawtelle, Outliers and People of the Book on top of the pile to read next. Knowing me, I may just end up reading Shopgirl again. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours! Have you read Steve Martin's Born Standing Up? You must read it -- it is an excellent memoir, and all about his growth as an entertainer.

 
Links Add to Technorati Favorites