Tuesday, May 5, 2009

'Saints and Villains" by Denise Giardina

Saints and Villains (Ballantine Reader's Circle) Saints and Villains by Denise Giardina


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Denise Giardina has offered an imaginative but well-researched take on the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Saints and Villains is a novel that goes into Bonhoeffer's thoughts, struggles, and experiences, starting with childhood, including his time in the seminary in New York. His interactions with T.S. Eliot and George Bell, Bishop of Chichester, are fascinating -- wish I could have eavesdropped on those conversations. I cheated here: I listened to it on audio. But this is historical fiction at its best. I discovered it when looking through Image journal's list of 100 essential books.


View all my reviews.

Digg this

No comments:

 
Links Add to Technorati Favorites