Monday, March 23, 2009

Bono: 'I don't go to church for the view'

In the March 19 edition of Rolling Stone, the second-to-last paragraph of the cover story on U2 starts out with a discussion of the song "Moment of Surrender" from the new album:

"Moment of Surrender" tells the tale of a lost soul, borrowing an Alcoholics Anonymous term for the moment an addict admits helplessness. "The character in the song is a junkie, so that's where I got it," says Bono, who has written about heroin addiction before, most famously on "Bad" from The Unforgettable Fire. "I've been surrounded a lot in my personal life by addiction -- in the last few years, in particular," Bono says. "I know a lot of people -- not least the bass player in the band -- who has had to deal with their demons in courageous ways." (In the Nineties -- around the time he was engaged to Naomi Campbell -- [bass player Adam] Clayton grappled with alcoholism, and went to AA himself.) "And maybe there's a part of me that thinks, 'Wow, I'm just an inch away'," Bono continues. "There's no doubt about the fact that I have a wild streak and I'd be very capable of setting fire to myself. So, you know, I don't go to church for the view."

Digg this

No comments:

 
Links Add to Technorati Favorites