Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I loved Steve Martin's 'Born Standing Up'

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I loved how Steve Martin recalls his creative development, his artistic development, from small-time vaudeville to big-time comedy. His growth, his peak, his wise decision to re-invent himself toward film, along with his spare family life (if redeemed toward the end). This is book is also and outstanding example of what the genre of "creative nonfiction" or "literary nonfiction" can be. This works very well as a book, and ends where it ought to, although being a big fan of "L.A. Story" and being completely selfish, I wish the chronology had extended to the writing and making of that film.


View all my reviews.

Digg this

No comments:

 
Links Add to Technorati Favorites