Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Life: A mystery or a problem?

Is the life of faith a mystery or a problem?

A few thoughts from Gabriel Marcel, a French playwright and philosopher, who lived 1889-1973:

“The problem is something that I could isolate. Problems have solutions or potential solutions…. The problem stands outside me. Mystery, I'm inside it. Mystery, I can't get distance on myself, or it or that other person."

“A genuine problem is subject to an appropriate technique…. whereas a mystery, by definition, transcends every conceivable technique. It is, no doubt, always possible (logically and psychologically) to degrade a mystery so as to turn it into a problem. But this is a fundamentally vicious proceeding, whose springs might perhaps be discovered in a kind of corruption of intelligence."

“Reality cannot be summed up.”

Digg this

No comments:

 
Links Add to Technorati Favorites